stuttering in signed languages

Bencie Woll b.woll at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Oct 26 16:42:36 UTC 2007

I've followed this discussion with interest. I think the evidence - slim as it
is - does suggest that the incidence of stuttering is much lower in sign
language than in spoken language. Figures for spoken language are given as
about 2.5% in pre-school children and as high as 5% overall (for stuttering at
any point in a person's life). It appears clear that the incidence can be
nowhere near as high for sign language.

Bencie Woll

--
Professor Bencie Woll, BA, MA, PhD
Chair of Sign Language and Deaf Studies & Director, DCAL Centre