stuttering in signed languages

dcogill at une.edu.au dcogill at une.edu.au
Sun Oct 28 01:06:02 UTC 2007

Hi Karen,

could one check the 'feedback as cause' hypothesis ITSELF, in signer
stutterers, by looking at the kinds of signs they stutter on?  Unlike
speaker-hearers, signers have their visual feedback as intermittent in
online conversation, don't they - as one's own hands go in and out of
view. So if visual feedback triggers stuttering (whether as strongly or
more weakly than auditory feedback), then unlike the speaker-hearer's
fairly continuous flow of sound, one might be able to find correlations
between  the visibility of a sign to the signer, and the likelihood that
that sign triggers stuttering.

I thought about this because I was noting in Sarah's post that she
actually mentioned "I/me" as a sign she remembers her acquaintance
stuttering on, and I was thinking at the time "ah, not so good for the
feedback hypothesis of stuttering", as that sign's usually less in sight
than many other signs, depending on assimilation effects from the
surrounding signs, of course. But NOW I'm thinking (there's always a
'but', isn't there) — well, maybe certain areas of the visual field
trigger a stutter in individuals; or maybe signs in peripheral vision, as
"I/me" often would be, are exactly the ones that do, for example. These
possiblities would be testable too. I know I'm just chewing away on this
idea speculatively, exploring possibilities, but heck, that's part of what
this forum is for, so I'll boldly hit 'send' here.

Dorothea.