AW: [SLLING-L] stuttering in signed languages

Klann, Juliane jklann at ukaachen.de
Sun Oct 28 10:10:43 UTC 2007

The anecdotes go inline with the hypothesis that stuttering relies on a decelerated articulation planning/a speech timing problem (Van Riper, 1982). This is supported by recent brain studies on hearing stutterers that showed

(a) a decreased white matter tract/fiber coherence
(b) additional activation of the right frontal operculum

when they were contrasted with hearing non-stutterers (Sommer et al., 2002; Büchel & Sommer, 2004). These results were interpreted in terms of a slowed articulation planning due to a less developed connectivity between language and articulation areas which is compensated by the right frontal operculum ("disturbed signal transmission through fibers passing the left rolandic operculum impairs the fast sensorimotor integration necessary for fluent speech production", B&S 2004). Neumann et al. (2003) confirmed this data and showed, that the right hemispere is activated particularly during fluent speech phases in stutterers maybe revealing successful compensation of the deficit due to activation of this brain structure.

I think it would be interesting to examine deaf stutterers the same way and especially take a look at the interconnection between language and sign articulation areas as well as the right hemisphere.

Lit.:

Büchel C, Sommer M. What causes stuttering? PLoS Biol 2004;2 (2):159-163 (e46).

Neumann K, Euler HA, Gudenberg AW, Giraud AL, Lanfermann H, et al. The nature and treatment of

          stuttering as revealed by fMRI: A within- and between-group comparison. J Fluency Disord. 2003;28:381–410.

Sommer M, Koch MA, Paulus W, Weiller C, Buechel C. A disconnection of speech-relevant brain areas in

          developmental stuttering. Lancet. 2002;60:380–383.

Van Riper, C. The nature of stuttering. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall; 1982. 468 pp.

Juliane Klann.

Juliane Klann, M.A.
Neurolinguistics
Dept. of Neurology