stuttering in signed languages, kinesthetic feedback?

Miako Villanueva Miako.Villanueva at gallaudet.edu
Sun Oct 28 14:05:43 UTC 2007

I'm wondering if there have been any hypotheses about kinesthetic
feedback rather than visual feedback in signed languages.
While I understand that for spoken language, theories focus on
auditory feedback rather than production, the kinesthetic aspects of
signed language production are much more salient than in spoken
language production.
For example, when native speakers are asked to make grammatical
judgments for spoken language, they will speak the sentence to
themselves, and then often answer, "nope, it doesn't sound right."
Native signers making these judgments sign a sentence to themselves
and respond with "it doesn't feel right," not that it doesn't look
right, when judging their own signing.
Also, when interpreting and monitoring my work, I monitor my spoken
language production auditorily, but I monitor my signed language work
kinesthetically, not visually.

--Miako