Research on Signed/Spoken Language Code switching

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu
Tue Sep 4 14:27:46 UTC 2007

"Lorraine Leeson" <leesonl at gmail.com>  wrote:

>But why do the acronyms need to be transparent?? This doesn't seem to
>be a necessary condition of naming!

As someone else has said, codes are codes and don't need to be memorable.
But there's a reason that, say, my university ID has a name form (mamandel)
as well as a number. If you're reading a comparative paper on, say, namesign
forms in SLs around the world, do you want to have to keep a cheat sheet
handy to know which one each code refers to? I don't.

And as for the other complaint, that these terms are English-based: We are
writing here in English. If I read a Russian paper on spoken languages, I
would have no right to complain that (transliterated) "nemeckii" doesn't
resemble the English word "Hungarian" -- or, for that matter, the Hungarian
word "Magyar" (acute accent on the 2nd "a"). Codes are not language-based,
but names and abbreviations are. It would not be unfair for English-language
abbreviations (NOT codes!) for SLs to be English-based.

But it would be polite for writers to introduce the abbreviations on first
use in a paper, as is typically done in biomedical text with abbreviations
for genes, proteins, diseases, and so on.

m a m