Acronyms [abbreviations] for SL

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu
Tue Sep 4 17:14:21 UTC 2007

"Sonja Erlenkamp" <sonja.erlenkamp at hist.no> wrote

 With regard to the issue at hand the question is if the signed language
communities tolerate these "name tags" to based on English abbreviations and
what kind of role we researchers want to play in this.

 <<<<<

And "Shane Gilchrist O hEorpa" <shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at gmail.com> wrote
similarly

And its political here - it is up to the regional/national Deaf
community to decide, not us linguistics - we cannot go and use fancy
codes etc - some Finns were very impressed when I was talking about
SVK, not FinSL - they said that I respect their language by using
their acronym.

Good example here - in Belgium, theres one signed language with two
main dialects but the deaf communities there chose to give separate
names - VGT in Dutch and LSFB in French to show that there are two
separate deaf communities (just like hearing communities - the Flemish
and the French speakers) but the community was always as one until
lately.

 <<<<<

To return to my point, "SVK" is fine when you're talking to or writing for
or signing/fingerspelling to a Suomi community -- sorry, I mean "Finnish"
-- but unhelpful in English (or French or Russian or ...). I would have no
problem with abbreviations like FlemSL and FrBelgSL. But the Flemish- and
French-based abbreviations make sense in English only after they have been
explained, and not fully even then. I can deduce that the "V" and "T" stand
for "Vlaamse" and "Taal", if I've got them spelled right, but this is only
one step better than an arbitrary code like "349". And it still doesn't
answer the question of what to do if the name of some other sign language,
in the spoken language of that region, also happens to abbreviate to "VGT".

It is not really for linguists to decide on the name of the language
(and the acronyms) - its the same with Irish - traditionally it is
known as Gaelic (even in the Irish language itself!) but the Irish
Government made it so that it is known as Irish, not Gaelic, just to
be used as a nation-building tool.

 <<<<<

That argument holds within the country, and somewhat less strongly elsewhere
among speakers of the same language -- in this case, English, the other
official language of the Irish Republic -- but IMHO it loses almost all of
its strength when we start talking about what to call a language IN ANOTHER
LANGUAGE (that is not also a language of its homeland). See above re
"Suomi".

For instance, we could call ISL "Ireslan" but there were objections to
that (for political reasons) because the name Ireslan was promoted by
a hearing nun in Dublin and other reasons.

Its all about politics :-)

 <<<<<

Yes, but that is an intra-language matter for case-by-case decision (if it
comes up at all for a given SL), hardly bearing on this question in general.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]