Acronyms [abbreviations] for SL

Shane Gilchrist O hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 18:21:11 UTC 2007

Mark,

maybe the adoption of the acronyms in the written language the signed
language is in use reflects the sign language culture.

For instance, when I say ASL in Irish Sign Language, Northern Ireland
Sign Language or British Sign Language, I would use the ASL
fingerspelling - the same for when I say ISL, I ll use the Irish
fingerspelling etc - its also common with many signers too.

It would look very strange if I fingerspell ISL in the British
fingerspelling - I would sign "Irish Sign Language"

a penny for your thought?

Shane