MySL

Shane Gilchrist O hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 08:23:11 UTC 2007

Dear David,

I have spoken to HO Koon-Wei who is a deaf sign linguist in Malaysia.

She said that people in Malaysia use both acronyms - BIM or MySL. When
speaking with people outside Malaysia, they try and use MySL (making
it easier for you, maybe?) but in Malaysia, the Deaf community would
use either BIM or MySL - both the same one language.

I guess its the same with SVK - the Finns tells us that their language
is called FinSL but they never use that term in Finland - only for the
outsiders and many deafies outside Finland may find it disrespectful
by calling it FinSL instead of SVK. Another example is TID (Turkish
Sign Language) - I havent seen people saying TSL?

Shane