MySL

Tommi Jantunen tommi.jantunen at campus.jyu.fi
Wed Sep 5 08:57:07 UTC 2007

Dear all,

Just to make a few things straight regarding the discussion on
Finnish Sign Language.

Finnish Deaf people typically refer to their language with the
compound-like sign (typically glossed as) VIITTOMAKIELI 'sign
language'; sometimes, depending both on the background of the signer
and his/her language variety, this sign may be preceded by the sign
SUOMI 'Finland' or the sign SUOMENRUOTSALAINEN 'Finland-Swedish'.
Fingerspelling or signs containing fingerspelling are typically not
used by Finnish sign language users as a way to refer to their language.

Acronyms such as SVK (derived from the Finnish word [S]uomalainen [V]
iittoma[K]kieli 'Finnish Sign Language) or FinSL are used almost
exclusively in academic or "bureaucratic" settings, e.g. in articles
(SVK in Finnish texts and FinSL in English texts), as a way to refer
to the language by the means of writing. Also, it should be noted
that the acronym SVK is used only by a handfull of (mostly hearing)
linguists.

You can watch the FinSL signs referred to above in Suvi, the On-line
Dictionary of FinSL. Direct links are:

VIITTOMAKIELI
http://suvi.viittomat.net/Index.aspx?c=search;
2&type=res&crt_fin=viittomakieli&id=966#start
SUOMI
http://suvi.viittomat.net/Index.aspx?c=search;
2&type=res&crt_fin=Suomi&id=723#start
SUOMENRUOTSALAINEN
http://suvi.viittomat.net/Index.aspx?c=search;
2&type=res&crt_fin=suomenruotsalainen&id=359#start

Best wishes,

Tommi Jantunen

--
Tommi Jantunen
Lehtori / Lecturer
S-posti / E-mail: tommi.jantunen at campus.jyu.fi
www: http://users.jyu.fi/~tojantun

Shane Gilchrist O hEorpa kirjoitti 5.9.2007 kello 11.23:

> Dear David,
>
> I have spoken to HO Koon-Wei who is a deaf sign linguist in Malaysia.
>
> She said that people in Malaysia use both acronyms - BIM or MySL. When
> speaking with people outside Malaysia, they try and use MySL (making
> it easier for you, maybe?) but in Malaysia, the Deaf community would
> use either BIM or MySL - both the same one language.
>
> I guess its the same with SVK - the Finns tells us that their language
> is called FinSL but they never use that term in Finland - only for the
> outsiders and many deafies outside Finland may find it disrespectful
> by calling it FinSL instead of SVK. Another example is TID (Turkish
> Sign Language) - I havent seen people saying TSL?
>
> Shane
>
> On 05/09/07, Hope Hurlbut <hope_hurlbut at sil.org> wrote:
>> Dear David and Shane,
>> I live in Malaysia, and had not heard of the change!  Maybe it is
>> has not
>> reached the Borneo side of the Malaysia yet.
>> Hope

>>> from Malaysia Federation of the Deaf two weeks ago.  The  change