MySL

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 10:27:14 UTC 2007

Hoi,
According to Ethnologue there is a Finnish Sign Language (fse) and a
separate Finnish Swedish Sign Language (fss). They are considered to be
distinct and, the Finnish Swedish Sign Language is said to be associated
with a school that has been closed. The text has SUOMENRUOTSALAINEN and
VIITTOMAKIELI as the same. My question is it ?

It is fine to call a language whatever, it is not so obvious that you will
be universally understood. I am one of the probably few people who know
there are two sign languages associated with Finland .. who does not sign :)
and is not Finnish. The codes that I posted are codes, not acronyms, and
therefore do not have inherent meaning they are useful only because they
allow language content to be uniquely identified.

In a previous post of mine this distinction between codes and acronyms was
not clear at all. Sorry.

Thanks,
     Gerard

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=fse