Acronyms [abbreviations] for SL

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu
Wed Sep 5 13:22:32 UTC 2007

Shane wrote:

fair enough Mark :-)

however, liking it or not, the deaf community in Ireland will stay
with ISL - they won't give a damn about other places that use ISL as
well :-D

politics for ye!

<<<

Oh, sure! I never meant to imply anything about SIGNS (including
fingerspelled names) for sign languages, especially a signing community's
name for its own language. I was only addressing the way sign languages are
referred to in writing, specifically by researchers and other interested
people like us. We are the community with the greatest need to be able to
distinguish between references to different sign languages, and while we
have a duty to respect the people whose languages we are talking about, we
can't do right by them or by ourselves if we can't communicate clearly with
each other.

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]