Acronyms [abbreviations] for SL

Lancz Edina elancz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 02:04:34 UTC 2007

What if a community does not use any acronym to refer to its own sign
language? This is the case in Hungary where both Deaf and hearing people use
simply 'jelnyelv', which means 'sign language'. We do the same with other
sign languages, adding only their 'nationalities' like in 'brit jelnyelv'
(BSL).

So if you make it a rule that local abbreviations should be used, we'll be
in trouble :-) And there is another problem with this. If a Hungarian
abbreviation were still introduced internationally for HSL, it would be
MJNy, which might be tricky for most foreigners to pronounce properly. Or
would you pronounce it in English? That would be really strange... I guess
it would be the same probem with several other languages so sticking to the
English acronyms seems to be a better option for me.

Greetings to all,

Edina Lancz