Acronyms

Albert Bickford albert_bickford at sil.org
Thu Sep 6 17:53:30 UTC 2007

I certainly agree that overuse of unfamiliar acronyms and abbreviations
makes things hard for readers.  (For the lazy writer, they can still type
the all acronyms they want but then use search-and-replace to change them to
the full name.)

However, when an acronym is well known, perhaps better known than the full
name of the language, then it *is* helpful to the reader to use the acronym
(although it probably should be explained once at the beginning of the paper
for the occasional reader who might not know the acronym). And, when a
technical term or other concept is thematically important in an article, I
personally find it helpful as a reader to have an acronym or abbreviation
introduced early on. In other words, the more frequently an acronym or
abbreviation is used (either generally or in a particular context), the more
helpful it is to use it and the easier it is to remember what it means. This
also applies to how short and cryptic the abbreviation is: the more it is
used, the more helpful it is to be short and the fewer problems it causes by
being cryptic. (I notice this phenomenon especially when working with
glossed texts.)

So, abbreviations are sometimes helpful, but they have to be used
judiciously and with sensitivity to the audience.

Albert