Acronyms

Elisabeth Engberg-Pedersen eep at hum.ku.dk
Thu Sep 6 08:30:00 UTC 2007

I must admit that I haven't had time to read all the contributions in
the debate about acronyms, but I can't help making a small comment
now. When students abbreviate terms they use often in their
assignments, I usually say that abbreviations (including acronyms)
are there for the benefit of the lazy writer, they are a nuisance to
the readers. Why use acronyms at all and not simply the full name?
And if we write in English, we should use the name in English - as
with any other language name (cf. German, Dutch, Swedish, West
Greenlandic, etc.).

I just finished a paper with lots of acronyms of sign languages!

- Elisabeth

Elisabeth Engberg-Pedersen
Department of Scandinavian Studies and Linguistics
University of Copenhagen
Njalsgade 120
DK-2300 Copenhagen S.
Denmark