Acronyms

Hope Hurlbut hope_hurlbut at sil.org
Thu Sep 6 01:56:58 UTC 2007

Dear Dimitris,
In spoken languages we seem to use abbreviations more than acronyms. For example, I shorten English to Eng. when I write and Greek to Gr.  I worked on a spoken language for many years, and the name the people chose for the language was so long that my colleagues refused to say it, so I shortened that to L-K K (representing 3 long words), then everyone was happy.  For the language speakers themselves, usually they say Kadazan (abbreviated from the last K in the acronym).  (Actually there are many Kadazan languages, but it is always clear which language is being referred to by the context.)

Hope