use of sign language in Jordan

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 16:11:57 UTC 2007

When I was visiting HLID (mentioned in Mohammed's dissertation, but the
English translation  left the name in Arabic as "Al-Aradi Al-Mukadassa")
there was a distinct hearing/Deaf divide among the faculty. The Hearing
faculty (with the notable, and laudable, exception of Br. Andrew) would band
together and talk in full view of the Deaf, sometimes signing every third
word. And I almost never saw them signing without simultaneous speech.
Perhaps Bernadet, who had more prolonged experience with HLID folks  can
correct my perception.

I had no idea that MPI had worked on a Jordanian SL course. I'm glad they
have, because as Bernadet said, there was much emphasis on vocabulary, and
the vocabulary you learned depended on the club you attended. They offered
long lists of vocabulary with no regard to usefulness, token frequency,
etc., and often offered invented signs which their club had agreed upon, but
which were unrecognized elsewhere. This same fixation on vocabulary was
manifest in the theses and dissertation which focused nearly exclusively on
vocabulary and not on structure (although things have hopefully changed
since I was there). One of the main textbooks at the University of Jordan on
Special Ed. traces the origins of all signing to de l'Epee! And talks about
vocbulary and fingerspelling, but not much about structure.

Again, thanks to the folks at MPI. :-)

Cheers,

-Dan