use of sign language in Jordan

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Wed Sep 26 16:17:52 UTC 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 8:27 AM, Bernadet Hendriks wrote:
> Sign language courses in Jordan have thus far mainly focused on
> teaching vocabulary, which means most teachers are not aware of the
> fact that Jordanian Sign Language has a grammar that is completely
> different to the grammar of Arabic and that speaking Arabic and
> signing grammatically at the same time is not possible. However, if
> anyone knows of schools which do use natural Jordanian Sign
> Language, I would love to hear...

I hope the above quote is short enough for you, Mark...;-)

Regarding the above quote by Bernadet...

All the more reason to start writing SignWriting Literature in the
natural Jordanian Sign Language to show that the written literature
has a different grammar than written Arabic. And then do some
statistical studies with three control groups, as Dan mentioned...

We are trying to publish more written Sign Language literature to
help teachers and researchers for future studies...

There is a complete 140 page novel written in Spanish Sign Language
from Madrid, and we are publishing four pieces of ASL literature this
Fall:

1. Bible: Gospel According to John, Chapters 1-7
2. Cat in the Hat
3. Sleeping Beauty
4. Cinderella

a strange collection I admit ;-)

And there are over 40 books written in Nicaraguan Sign Language...and
in Germany there are several too...

If there is literature written in Jordanian Sign Language, that will
help with future statistical studies on the efficacy of SignWriting...

If someone becomes inspired and wants to write Jordanian literature
in Jordanian Sign Language, I will be glad to help the project with
donated materials and software...and technical support on the
SignWriting end of things...

Just write to me privately -

Have a wonderful day everyone -

I have really enjoyed reading all your messages...

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton
Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting