use of sign language in Jordan

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 16:18:02 UTC 2007

Hoi,
I am a bit puzzled. The need for a language is something that comes natural
to people. When people have not learned the "formal" sign language, it means
that people will "roll their own". This is as natural a language as a formal
language is.  There are obvious advantages to having a larger group of
people share the same language but dismissing what has been created within a
smaller group seems odd to me.

It is not important what sign language people use, my understanding of the
relevance of the study is that the step from whatever sign language WITH
SignWriting to learn the dominant written language is a lot easier and
effective then learning the written dominant language only knowing sign
language. What sign language is used is not the issue because SignWriting is
a script and can essentially be used in combination with any sign language.

Thanks,
    Gerard