use of sign language in Jordan

Adam Frost adam at frostvillage.com
Thu Sep 27 01:20:30 UTC 2007

SignWriting is an alphabet. Each sign is broken up into each component of "phoneme" of the sign language ie handshapes, palm orientation, location, and movement. It wouldn't be logographic because the sign for CAT in ASL would be written the same as CAT in BSL which does not happen. SignWriting also couldn't be syllabaries because why might be a common syllable in French Sign Language might need to be broken up to mean anything in Jordan Sign Language. I don't know what abjads, abugidas, and featural systems are, so I can't go off on that. Unless SignWriting fits better with one of these, the only catigory that fits is alphabet.

Adam