use of sign language in Jordan

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Thu Sep 27 01:10:11 UTC 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 5:46 PM, Steve Slevinski wrote:
> By alphabet I mean an ordered list of symbols. The SignWriting
> alphabet is ordered and hierarchical.  It is possible to sort signs
> alphabetically in SignWriting using something called the the
> SignSpelling Sequence.

Kathy -
To add to what Steve explained, SignWriting is considered to be an
alphabet, because we write the way the body looks while we sign, so
it can be either phonetic or phonemic, depending on how much detail
the writer chooses to write...

SignWriting symbols record body movement, and people in each signed
language apply the SignWriting symbols to write the movements of
their own signed language...The details and nuances of native signed
language grammar is written by hand and by computer, and we are
writing full novels and literature, so it is slowly becoming a
written form for signed languages around the world...

In time, we hope to have a Wikipedia in written signed languages
using SignWriting...so people can write articles online directly in
the symbols of signed languages...

Of course this will take time, but we are moving towards that goal...

Since SignWriting is used by thousands of people around the world, it
became an official world script, categorized as an alphabet, by the
ISO (International Organization of Standardization)...ISO 15924,
abbreviation "Sgnw"...

ISO 15924
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15924