use of sign language in Jordan

Steve Slevinski slevin at signpuddle.net
Fri Sep 28 00:48:19 UTC 2007

Fine, let's consider the term "articulatory features".  A pompous and
meaningless term.  If you want to talk about Articulatory phonetics or
Articulatory gestures, that's fine, but please explain why you used the
term "articulatory features"?

I'll just cut your term down to articulate: to be able to easily produce
or communicate a language.

Dan Parvaz wrote:
> If we want to be sticklers for perception, then we perceive voicing,
> acoustic "shapes" which at least partially correlate to articulatory
> positioning, fundamental frequency, turbulence, etc.
>
> Articulatory features or perceptual ones... it doesn't matter.
> Alphabets don't analyze at that level, and SW does. Not the same.

So you're saying ..
"An alphabets is not concerned with the mechanics of producing language,
but with consonant or vowel sounds."

This is incorrect.  It's possible to discuss language without relying on
sound.  If speech or phonetics is part of a definition, that term is
probably biased for the hearing world and the definition should probably
be changed.

SignWriting does write the articulatory features of sign
language,because they are significant and meaningful.

When you're talking, it does not matter what happens to your tongue.  It
doesn't even matter if you have a tongue with articulatory synthesis.
The tongue movement is unimportant for articulation.

When your signing, it may matter what happens with your tongue.  The
tongue and it's movement are meaningful, just like a vowel or
consonant.  You need to understand the articulation of the tongue for
written communication.

Regards,
-Steve

BTW: a sophist argues to be right.  A philosophical laymen discusses in
order to discover truth.