Phonemes (was RE: use of sign language in Jordan) - longish

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Fri Sep 28 16:04:56 UTC 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 7:23 AM, Carolyn Ostrander wrote:
> ....I would be really curious to know whether there are persistent
> "poor spellers" in signwriting as time goes on,
> who perceive categories of movement differently and insist on their
> own coding system.

Thank you for this point, Carolyn...

SignWriting definitely has SignSpellings and SignSpelling rules. And
there are definitely good spellers (those who are skilled with
SignWriting), and beginning spellers (those who are new to
SignWriting)...and yes...of course they make spelling mistakes.

There are two kinds of SignSpelling rules in SignWriting...

1. rules related to movement writing...those are the rules that
govern the actual symbols themselves...how they are used...that can
be applied to writing any gesture, not just signed languages...

2. Spelling rules related to signed languages specifically...

Nine times out of ten, the beginning writer doesn't understand number
1 above...they simply need experience learning the SignWriting
system, and when they have that, they correct their own "movement-
related" spelling mistakes.

But there is that one time out of ten, that it is related to "signed
language issues" (number 2 above) and those are the spelling mistakes
that are fascinating...you are absolutely correct...

And we have watched those patterns over years, and we bring those up
to the SignWriting List members, and we discuss the issues of
SignSpellings for some signs that are "hard to write"...

Sometimes we will add 8 or 10 different choices of how the same sign
could be spelled, and we add all of those spelling choices into
SignPuddle and we attach them as a graphic to the SignWriting List so
they can discuss which SignSpelling "works for them"...

Through this process, SignWriting has greatly improved. We have made
changes to the writing system when need be...so it is a very positive
experience...

If we look back in the history of English spelling, as you know,
there were multiple choices for spellings of some English words in
the beginning...and over time, a certain spelling became the
norm...but that took time...

That is the stage we are in right now, with SignSpellings in
SignWriting...

We have one booklet called SignSpelling Guidelines. We are writing an
update to that booklet this Fall.

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton
Sutton at SignWriting.org