Phonemes (was RE: use of sign language in Jordan) - longish

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Fri Sep 28 15:11:17 UTC 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 7:23 AM, Carolyn Ostrander wrote:
> A second interesting thing about these pairings is that they were
> very slippery historically until dictionaries came along.
> Signwriting begins with a dictionary, though.....

> Carolyn Ostrander
> PhD student, Composition and Cultural Rhetoric
> Syracuse University
> clostran at syr.edu

Hi Carolyn -

Actually, SignWriting did not begin with dictionaries, nor would I
teach using dictionaries if we have a beginning class.

SignWriting started with transcribing signed languages from videotape.

The first use of SignWriting was at the University of Copenhagen in
1974. I was asked to write (transcribe) a video of the movements of
Deaf people having a conversation in Danish Sign Language, versus
hearing people, and the hearing gestures they make while speaking
spoken language.

As you know, SignWriting can record any movement of the body, so it
is easy to write hearing person's gestures as well as signed
languages. So this was at the request of a research project
there...they needed to see the difference between hearing and Deaf-
sign-language-related gestures....that was the beginning of
SignWriting...

No dictionaries!

The second signed language written in SignWriting was a Sign Language
from a South Pacific Island, and again it was taken from video
footage and photos of positions made by the only Deaf signer on the
whole island...a researcher asked me to do this project for his study
on this unique signed language, that involved the entire
body...including squatting and other features that were real signs to
this one lone Deaf person on the island...

Then when we started writing ASL and Danish Sign Language in the
early 1980s, we did not start with dictionaries either. The first ASL
written were real articles written by native ASL signers for our
SignWriter Newspaper from 1981-1984...they wrote stories from their
own experience, directly in ASL the best they could...of course we
learned a lot from that...it was not perfect ASL at all, but that was
the beginning at least...

So dictionaries once again did not start the writing of ASL...

Online, in SignPuddle, it is true that people usually start with
dictionaries for the newer signed languages being written...so that
may be where you got that mis-impression...and it is true that a lot
of people do start learning SignWriting through dictionaries....

But if I am teaching SignWriting to a new group, and they are here in
my office, I do not start teaching with dictionaries, but instead
hand them Goldilocks Level 2 in ASL and teach them to read real
literature immediately...

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton
Sutton at SignWriting.org