wiksign, a collaborativ french sign language dictionnary

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart at aol.com
Fri Apr 11 17:00:29 UTC 2008

I agree that *somebody* has to do it, enter it, and maintain it. No
argument here. :) The main reason I mentioned the use of a "plug-in"
of sorts is that it can provide a standard way for such data to be
included in databases and be searchable based on the assumptions of
those notation systems. If the plug-ins become standard and are
maintained as a matter of course for linguistic research, then it is
something that becomes valuable to all. It is an issue now because
notation systems haven't exactly been embraced like the IPA has been
for spoken language research. If advocates for the various systems are
included in the process, then I think that advocates of a notation
system will likely find ways to maintain and support their plug-in (if
they don't have one already). A community supported approach will be
more likely to succeed.

Thanks,

Stuart