Kinship terminology in SLs

khoyer at mappi.helsinki.fi khoyer at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sat Dec 13 14:21:02 UTC 2008

Hi Mara, (and all the readers of this list)

My apologizes for taking part in the kinship terminology discussion on
this late stage. I have a comment on the relationship between a sign
language in question and the spoken language used in the surrounding:

I wrote my MA thesis in General linguistics on kinship terminology in
Finland-Swedish Sign Language (FinSSL); "Hoyer, 2000: Variation i
teckenspråk - En studie av släktskapsterminologi i teckenspråket hos
finlandssvenska döva" (= Variation in Sign Language - A Study on the
Kinship Terminology in the Sign Language of Finland-Swedish Deaf). The
thesis is written in Swedish, so just a short comment here about some
results. I namely found many differences between the minority sign
language FinSSL and the sign language used by the majority of the
Finnish Deaf people, Finnish Sign Language (FinSL) regarding kinship
terminology.

There are about 5000 users of FinSL in Finland, but only about 150
Deaf users of FinSSL. For the two national spoken languages in
Finland; Finnish and Swedish, Finnish is the language used by the
majority, while Swedish is used by about 6 % of the population. Deaf
people using FinSL usually have Finnish as their second language, for
reading and writing, while this language for the Deaf using FinSSL is
Swedish.

One of the most interesting results of my study had to do with the
similarity between how a sign language and the spoken language used in
the surrounding community expresses some kinship terms:

In Finnish language there is only one kinship term for 'aunt' (=
täti). The same goes for FinSL. In Swedish language 'maternal aunt' is
moster while 'paternal aunt' is faster. In FinSSL there are also two
different signs; MOSTER (a compound sign consisting of MOR 'mother' +
SYSTER 'sister') and FASTER (a compound sign consisting of FAR
'father' + SYSTER 'sister').

FinSSL also separates between the four signs for 'grandmother' and
'grandfather' on mother's side versus father's side. In the same way
these kinship terms are different in Swedish (mormor = 'mother's
mother', morfar ='mother's father', farmor 'father's mother', and
farfar = 'father's father'). However, in Finnish language the most
terms in use do not reveal whether the grandparent in question is
maternal or paternal (they only reveal the gender). The pattern is
similar in FinSL.

Other kinship terms in FinSSL that reflect the transparent form of
their equivalents in Swedish are 'maternal uncle' that is a compound
sign MORBROR (BROR = 'brother'), and 'paternal uncle' that is a
compound sign FARBROR. The equivalents in Finnish language are opaque,
and that is also the case for the equivalents in FinSL. So the loan
translations may reflect both the form of the term in the source
language, and the arrangement of the kin classes. Of course, since
deeper studies of the origin and the etymology of the signs are
missing, one can not state anything definite about the reasons for the
differences between the kinship terminology systems in the sign
languages in question. It is however clear that there are some
parallels between the signed and the spoken languages.

The sign languages FinSSL and FinSL are historically closely related,
while the spoken languages that have been the main sources for their
respective loan translations, Swedish versus Finnish are not
genetically related. The constant contacts of FinSSL with both other
signed languages (mainly FinSL but also Swedish Sign Language) and
spoken languages (mainly Swedish but to certain extents also Finnish)
result in a intertwined language contact phenomena. The kinship
terminology is only one example of that.

Kind regards,

Karin Hoyer

Teckenspråksforskare /Viittomakielen tutkija /Sign Linguist
Teckenspråksenheten /Viittomakieliyksikkö /Sign Language Unit
Finlands Dövas Förbund rf /
Kuurojen Liitto ry /
The Finnish Association of the Deaf
P.O. Box 57, 00401 HELSINKI, FINLAND