looking for...

Robin Thompson robin.thompson at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 7 14:25:00 UTC 2008

Hello
I am looking for a study that may in fact not actually exist- but
that I have heard people tell of anecdotally.
The story goes that sign language researchers were asked to annotate
all the signs that a child/children/babies(?) produced based on
videotaped data. The researchers were told that the children were
native Deaf signers- but the catch was that they were in fact hearing
children with no exposure to sign language. Apparently quite a few
'signs' were reported by the (unwitting) researchers.
If anyone knows of this study- and hopefully paper- or perhaps of the
non-existence of this study could you let me know?
Thank you!
Robin
Robin Thompson, Ph.D.
Research Fellow
Deafness, Cognition and Language Research Centre (DCAL)
University College London
49 Gordon Square, London, WC1H 0PD
Web: www.dcal.ucl.ac.uk
robin.thompson at ucl.ac.uk