looking for...

Fischer Susan susan.fischer at rit.edu
Thu Feb 7 15:11:02 UTC 2008

Robin,
The study was by Laura Petitto.  She showed videos of babies waving
their hands to deaf mothers, who read in meaning to the gestures even
though only half the babies had been exposed to any signing. Here's
the reference:
Petitto, L.A. (1988). "Language" in the pre-linguistic child. In F.
Kessel (Ed.), Developmental of Language and Language
Researchers: Essays in Honor of Roger Brown.Hillsdale, N.J. :
Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 187-221.