Catalan Sign Language vs Spanish Sign Language national sign language issues

Albert Bickford albert_bickford at sil.org
Sat Feb 23 17:27:27 UTC 2008

One of the best people to answer this question is Steve Parkhurst.  I'm not sure he subscribes to this list; if he doesn't respond in the next couple days, write to me privately and I'll put you in contact with him.

My understanding of the situation in Spain is that there are substantial similarities in the sign language dialects used in various cities in Spain, but also significant dialect variation. The signing in Catalonia is the most divergent from the rest of the country, and in addition the Deaf community in Catalonia has a distinct sociolinguistic identity. It is, as you said, a matter of identity construction that the two varieties of signing are generally referred to as distinct languages. But, that's a pretty normal situation when distinguishing what's a language and what's a dialect: identity construction plays a major role in those decisions, sometimes more important than the actual structural differences or the ability to communicate.

I should note something about the Ethnologue article.  The Ethnologue website is only updated about every three years, at the same time as the print version is published. A new version is in preparation right now, so the information currently on the website is a few years old. In the next edition, the name of the article will be changed to Catalan Sign Language, which is the English name that is normally used for this language in the linguistic literature, and is closer to the name used in Catalonia: Llengua De Signes Catalana. This parallels a change that was made to the ISO 639-3 standard last year; see http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=csc. Both the Ethnologue and the ISO 639-3 standard attempt to describe the actual situation in the real world, not define it. Ultimately, it is the language communities themselves that need to decide whether they want to be identified as using the same language as another community or have a distinct identity.

Albert