Catalan Sign Language vs Spanish Sign Language national sign language issues

Maria Josep Jarque majojarque at yahoo.es
Mon Feb 25 11:05:44 UTC 2008

Dear Dimitris,

Esperanza Morales and Victoria Gras are the sociolinguistic people working on sign language(s) in Spain. Here are some references and their email:

  Morales-López, Esperanza; Delfina Aliaga Emetrio; Jesús Amador; Alonso-Rodríguez, Rosa Mª Boldú-Menasanch; Júlia Garrusta Ribes; Victòria Gras-Ferrer. 2002. Deaf people in bilingual speaking communities: The case of Deaf in Barcelona. Ceil Lucas. Ed. Turn-taking, fingerspelling and contact in signed languages. Washington, DC: Gallaudet University Press. 107-155.

  Gras-Ferrer, Victòria. 2004. Language Census of Sign Languages Users in Spain: Attitudes in a Changing Language Community. In M. Van Herreweghe & M. Vermeerbergen. Ed. To the lexicon and beyond: Sociolinguistics in European Deaf Communities (Sociolinguistics in Deaf Communities; 10). Washington, D.C.: Gallaudet University Press. 211-247.

  Gras Ferrer, Victòria. 2006. La comunidad sorda como comunidad lingüística: panorama sociolingüístico de la/s lengua/s de signos en España. Ph Dissertation Dept. Lingüística. Universitat de Barcelona. Barcelona, April 2006.

Also, if you can read in Spanish go to

  http://dspace.udc.es/handle/2183/638

and take a look at:

Morales-López, Esperanza. 2006. La lengua de signos como vehículo de comunicación y de capital simbólico. Universitat de Barcelona.

  Esperanza Morales lxmlopez at udc.es

Victoria Gras: vic_gras at hotmail.com

Best regards,

Maria Josep Jarque
University of Barcelona
mj_jarque at ub.edu

Dimitris Mavreas <dmaureas at vodafone.net.gr> escribió:                        Dear all,
  I have found on www.ethnologue.com that Catalonian Sign Language is (I copy) “An indigenous sign language, quite distinct from Spanish Sign Language. About 50% intelligibility by users of Spanish Sign Language” and that Spanish Sign Language has  “Small differences throughout Spain with no difficulties in intercommunication, except in Catalonia. Origin unknown, but it is reported that there are influences from American, French, and Mexican sign languages”. I can realize the existence of two different sign languages in Spain but I wonder if anyone could give me more information about the origins of this differentiation (separate deaf schools, Deaf organizations).
  Variability in sign languages is well documented for various sing languages all over the world but at the same time most nations –states are claimed to have one national sign language. It is really a question why in Spain two sign languages can be identified in regions where the oral languages of hearing majority are also separable (Spanish, Catalan). The case is similar in Belgium. Is this distinction absolute real or does it reflect identity construction issues? Moreover, standardization process in sign languages is probably a demand of hearing majority associated with similar evolutions in oral languages but I feel lately Deaf communities are also concerned.
  I am working on language planning on Greek Sign Language and I am interested in similar research on other sign languages.
  Best regards,
  Dimitris Mavreas
  Phd Candidate University of Athens, dmaureas at vodafone.net.gr

¿Con Mascota por primera vez? - Sé un mejor Amigo
Entra en Yahoo! Respuestas.