Plain verbs in signed languages

Dan I. Slobin slobin at berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 6 12:47:59 UTC 2008

By defnition, a "plain verb" is one that cannot move in space, and so
it cannot mark agreement and spatial locations in itself.  But in
many sign languages (including Sign Language of the Netherlands,
Taiwanese Sign Language, and others), there are "auxiliary" verbs
that accompany a "plain" verb.  Such accompanying verbs do move in
space to indicate relations such as source-goal, agent-patient, and so forth.

Dan Slobin

At 08:10 PM 1/5/2008, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I am a research student who works on Hong Kong Sign Language. My
>focus of study is verbs. I would like to confirm if plain verbs are
>generally unmarked for verb agreement and spatial locations.
>
>I can post a summary.
>
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Scholastica
>scholalam at yahoo.com.hk
>The Chinese University of Hong Kong
>
>Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Dan I. Slobin, Professor of the Graduate School
Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Linguistics

Department of Psychology        email: slobin at berkeley.edu
3210 Tolman #1650                 phone (Dept):  1-510-642-5292
University of California             phone (home): 1-510-848-1769
Berkeley, CA 94720-1650         fax: 1-510-642-5293
USA                                      http://ihd.berkeley.edu/slobin.htm