Plain verbs in signed languages

Denise dwetzler at cox.net
Mon Jan 7 22:00:03 UTC 2008

In American Sign Language, verbs move. The movement itself contains a great
amount of information. If want to show that I will go from my house to the
bank and then to the library, these three locations are first established in
the signing space. How I sign the verb 'go-to' then will show where I
started from; went to; and where I ended up. Without changing the three
locations already established, I can then change the starting and ending
points, using the exact same 'go-to' verb and movement and completely change
the meaning of the signed sentence.

Denise Wetzler, M. Ed.

ASL Interpreter

Nationally Certified,