Fwd: deaf/Deaf-distinction: origin?

Lorraine Leeson leesonl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:20:18 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues,
I'm forwarding this message on behalf of Myriam Vermeerbergen who has
experienced a technical glitch with accessing the list for the moment....and
at the same time will take the opportunity to wish you all a very happy new
year!

Best wishes,

Lorraine Leeson
-----

Dear colleagues,

It is often reported that the convention to distinguish between deaf
(with lower case d) and Deaf with upper case started with Woodward's
paper "Implications for Sociolinguistic Research among the
Deaf" (published in Sign Language Studies, Volume 1, in 1972).
However, when consulting this paper, I found that there was no sign
of the distinction.

I assume that the source of the distinction might be another
publication by Woodward (possibly his 1973 dissertation or his 1982
"How You Gonna Get to Heaven....." book) but I haven't been able to
confirm this.

Therefor this message: does someone maybe know where and when the
deaf/Deaf convention started?
Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Myriam Vermeerbergen