TISLR 9 Proceedings

Terry Janzen janzent at cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Mar 19 15:56:03 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I¹m unsure of exactly how to respond to this. On one hand, I recognize the
incredible amount of work that goes into undertaking a conference such as
TISLR, and the desire to get research out to everyone.

But imagine my surprise to find Kevin Russell¹s and my paper included in the
electronic proceedings under the title ³The categorical nature of ASL
pronoun locations draft² when we did not submit the paper for inclusion. If
we didn¹t submit it, who did? As best we can figure it, someone took the
early draft we had sent in months before the conference to give to the
interpreters so they could prepare. This draft was never intended to for a
wide audience as a publication in any way. No permission was ever given to
publish it, and it most certainly, in our minds, is not in publishable form.
This leads me to wonder if we¹re the only ones in this predicament. Should I
be taking material, and even quoting, from other papers, while hoping that
no one does from ours?

This leads me say that these proceedings represent everything that¹s wrong
about electronic ³publishing². While I appreciate that there is much that is
truly helpful in the realm of electronic dissemination, this event takes us
a step backwards. Again, I can say that Kevin and I did not submit or give
permission to have our draft so published, so what do we do? Ask everyone to
delete it and never use it? Ask for a retraction? Unfortunately, once out
there, electronic material takes on a life of its own. Who has control?
Inevitably this paper will show up on the Hamburg bibliography.
Embarrassingly, someone might eventually take a quote from it (although at
least the title with the word ³draft² from it will show up in their
reference list, which will be a dead giveaway at least to us). Perhaps I
should just conclude, unfortunately, that electronic publishing does not
heed academic rigor. Surely the field of signed language research can do
better than this.

Terry

--
Dr. Terry Janzen, Associate Professor