the benefits of ELAN

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:46:44 UTC 2008

Hoi,
I have been doing some reading.. I try to understand this.
ELIAN is open source, the software is GPL licensed - I think I understand
how it would work. What I wonder about it is how you annotate a signing
session. Mark it in such a way that you can indeed search for things. You
still need a method to indicate that a particular sign or part of a sign is
used in a given time frame. Is this where SingWriting / HamNoSys come in by
associating it with a time slot in ELIAN ?

Amanda Brown wrote on a separate mail thread about "Comparison of multimodal
annotation tools: A workshop report. Gesprächsforschung, 7:99-123." would
this be available in a digital format for me ?
Thanks,
    Gerard