the benefits of ELAN

Lou de B luisitadb at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 2 13:12:08 UTC 2008

How you indicate or annotate depends on what it is you want to look at. In
our case, one thing we are looking at how often indicating verbs (agreement
verbs) do modify spatially. So on one tier (or actually one for each hand)
we use an English gloss. We are able to be totally consistent because Trevor
Johnston has created the Auslan Lexical Database so each sign has an
assigned ID gloss. Doesn¹t have to be the best translation in that context,
as translations occur on another tier. But it means every time we search
for, say FAMILY2 we know we are getting that particular variant for family.
On another tier we have a controlled vocabulary of grammatical class,
including whether a verb is indicating or not. And on another tier we say
whether it was, indeed, modified spatially to show semantic roles.

We have well documented annotation guidelines if you are interested that
show how we code on each tier. But this means we can search for the most
frequent verbs and how often they modify, or how often verbs modify if they
occur before or after a point sign etc. The possibilities are endless. And
if later we want to get different information, we just add another tier to
the template we use and then go through the data again looking for that
additional feature.