the benefits of ELAN

Albert Bickford albert_bickford at sil.org
Mon May 5 17:54:49 UTC 2008

Yes, that's what I meant.  Sorry I got the name garbled, and thanks for the
reference.

If people aren't comfortable with Stokoe notation as the basis for a
transcription, because of what we've learned theoretically in the last 40
years, the same thing could be done for any transcription or coding system.
You just have to develop some way of representing all the information that
you want to capture, and to do it within the character set that ELAN
supports.  We had to do that all the time for spoken languages in the 1980s
and even into the 1990s, before special character support developed to the
point that we could actually see the characters normally on the screen (and
some of the makeshift representations, like 7 for glottal stop, have made
their way into practical orthographies).  Makeshift representations are
harder to use than being able to see the symbols on screen that we're used
to seeing, but researchers can learn how to read the codes and they allow
research to go forward.  So, that's what I recommend for people who need to
have detailed phonetic/phonological information about sign languages in
ELAN.

Albert