SignWriting and Unicode (was: the benefits of ELAN)

Albert Bickford albert_bickford at sil.org
Mon May 5 18:10:43 UTC 2008

I changed the subject line because we've switched topics.

SVG won't provide a means of getting SignWriting into Unicode (including UTF-8), because Unicode by its nature requires a much simpler representation than SVG.  Likewise for SignWriting Markup Language (SWML), another XML-based notation that is specifically for SignWriting.  Such data formats are great for some purposes, but they are *much* too lengthy to be incorporated into Unicode, and their internal structure (based as they are on XML) is much too complex.    Unicode is a system for representing a character in a very small number of bytes, on the order of 5-10, whereas SVG or SWML might need (I'm guessing) something more like 100-200 bytes per SignWriting character.

However, it is not necessarily the case that a Unicode implementation of SignWriting would need to make room for 33,000+ new symbols.  That large number is a consequence of the fact that each separate rotation and shading (used to represent e.g. hand orientation and palm facing) is currently counted as a separate symbol.  But, each handshape has 96 different symbols to represent it; if a Unicode system was developed in which each handshape was represented by only one "codepoint" (the technical term for the Unicode number that represents the character), and there was a second codepoint to represent the rotation and shading, then the number of codepoints required would drop to probably in the range of 500-1000.  (There are also other symbols that vary systematically from each other, especially the movement arrows.)  This approach would also make it much easier to expand the system later; when a new handshape needs to be added to the system, you only need to add one new character, not 96.

Unfortunately, my impression is that most of the people who have thought about SignWriting and Unicode have made the assumption that each of the 33,000+ new symbols needs to correspond one-to-one with a Unicode codepoint.  As long as people make that assumption, it is unlikely that SignWriting will ever be added to Unicode.

Albert