SignWriting and Unicode

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart at aol.com
Tue May 6 16:14:03 UTC 2008

Just my 2 cents worth. I'm by no means a Unicode expert. But I think
the simple answer to your question is that standards are standards for
a reason. They make it easier for everyone to be on the same page.

Prior to Unicode, everyone did fonts and encoding according to
whatever scheme they thought worked best. That resulted in documents
which couldn't be read unless you had the right font files and other
tools to read and write those documents. That led to confusion.

With Unicode, it is much easier to have documents with mixed languages
and mixed characters sets because everyone has agreed on a standard
for representing the written characters for that language and how that
language is to be displayed. To facilitate widespread adoption of
SignWriting (or any writing system) on the computer side, it is wise
to work with Unicode.

Otherwise, I would suspect that SignWriting will forever have to
kludge its way to make the writing system available in other products
not created by SignWriting personnel. As a result, software companies
will be far less likely to make SignWriting something that could be
used natively in their applications. This in turn makes it less
attractive to those who are using standard applications for their work.

Developing a way for SignWriting to work in Unicode is admittedly not
trivial, but I do believe it is possible and valuable for those who
want to use SignWriting in any program.

Stuart