OBO - Bencie Woll & Verena Krausneker

Trude Schermer trude.schermer at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 13 12:29:59 UTC 2008

  _____

Van: slling-l-bounces at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:slling-l-bounces at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] Namens Paul Cowley
Verzonden: donderdag 13 november 2008 13:18
Aan: SLLING-L
Onderwerp: [SLLING-L] OBO - Bencie Woll & Verena Krausneker

Dear collegues,

The biggest resource on languages on the web - ethnologue, http://
www.ethnologue.com/ - unfortunately contains some totally outdated
information on national sign languages - in some cases even serious errors.
My efforts over the past years to convince ethnologue that they must check
and correct  the entries on SLs have had no effect.

So I think we should take action. Together with Bencie Woll I have come up
with the following plan:

We will collect a list of errors to support our point.

We will contact ethnologue with that list and provide contact persons that
they can use as ressources.

For this we need your help:

Please be so kind and take 5-10 Minutes.

1.	Find the Sign Language that you are expert for:
2.
3.	http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=90008

2. Read the short info provided.

3. Send an email to ME DIRECTLY  (verena.krausneker at univie.ac.at) with the
following info:

- Name of sign language in Ethnologue that you checked.

- Other names and abbreviation used for that sign language.

- Major errors in the entry (and if you wish further comments on the entry).

- Name and email address of one appropriate contact person for that SL.

thank you very much,

verena krausneker

(Dept. of Linguistics, University of Vienna)