Tenure-track position @ UNCG Available - Professions in Deafness Program

Hilary Franklin hilary.franklin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 18:46:18 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have been asked to help make this position vacancy more widely known. I
apologize to those of you who will receive this email two or three times,
but this is to ensure maximum exposure.

Please view the announcement below. I have not attached this as a Word
document as it will screw up digest posting.

Cheers,
Hilary Franklin

P.S. I am in no away affiliated with UNCG, so please do not contact me for
information about this! :)

************************************

*University** of North Carolina at Greensboro** School** of Education***

*Position:*

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, School of Education,
Department of Specialized Education Services, announces the availability of
a tenure-track associate or assistant professor position in the Professions
in Deafness programs.

*Context:*

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a doctoral granting
institution in the University of North Carolina system with a Fall 2007
enrollment of approximately 16386 students, of whom approximately 20% are
graduate students.

The Professions in Deafness programs are housed in the Department of
Specialized Education Services and consist of the following concentrations:
Advocacy and Services for the Deaf; American Sign Language (ASL) Teacher
Licensure; Interpreter Preparation; Auditory-Oral Birth-Kindergarten Teacher
Licensure and Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teacher Licensure.

*Qualifications:*

   - An earned doctoral degree in Deaf Studies, ASL linguistics, or a
   related field.
      - ABD with a graduation date no later than August 1, 2009  is
      acceptable.
   - Experience teaching ASL /Deaf Studies courses at the post-secondary
   level.
   - Eligible for American Sign Language Teachers Association (ASLTA)
   certification.
   - Fluency in American Sign Language.
   - Actively involved in the Deaf Community.

*Responsibilities:*

   - Coordinate a new undergraduate concentration in ASL Teacher Licensure.
   - Teach undergraduate courses in ASL, linguistics of ASL, Deaf culture
   and history, methods of teaching ASL and other related courses.
   - Participate actively in student advising, retention, and recruitment.
   - Participate in curriculum/program development and evaluation.
   - Coordinate activities and events with students and the Deaf Community.
   - Conduct research and seek external funding to expand program.
   - Participate in the research, instructional, and service mission of the
   Department of Specialized Education Services, the School of Education, and
   the University.

Salary:                         Competitive and commensurate with experience
and qualifications.

Starting date:              *August 1, 2009*

Application deadline:  *January 15, 2009*.  Review of applications will
continue until the position is filled.

Application Procedure: Send a letter of application, vita, three letters of
recommendation, transcripts and a video demonstrating, with ASL fluency,
your philosophy/method(s) of teaching.

Dr. Mary V. Compton, Chair
Specialized Education Services Search Committee
School of Education
UNCG
P.O. Box 26170
Greensboro, NC  27402-6170
Phone:  336.334.3771
Fax:  336.256.0185
E-mail:  mvcompto at uncg.edu
Website:  http://www.uncg.edu/ses

 Persons who are Deaf and/or from culturally diverse backgrounds are
encouraged to apply.

EEO-AA