SignTyp: Crosslinguistic sign language database available online

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 05:49:33 UTC 2009

Hoi,
It is the prerogative of a copyright holder to license as he sees fit and I
do agree with you that restricting commercial use is fairly common. The
point I am making is that in my opinion it is in the interest of the deaf
community and signing research when the best science has to offer is shared
as widely as possible. However, at the same time it is not in the interest
of the deaf community or science when commercial application then slap their
copyright on and prevent further sharing.

When your data is freely available under a CC-by-sa license or "Create
Commons attribution, share alike" license, you and your work will be
attributed and it is compulsory to share the work that is based on your work
This has the benefit that your work gains more social relevance while at the
same time ensuring will be better known. Some research at the University of
Bamberg said that the research at their uni did not have commercial
potential and that restricting commercial use was counterproductive compared
to using a "share alike" license.

The SignWriting writing system was originally freely available for everyone
and it was not licensed. At this moment there is a license that makes
SignWriting explicitly free. The difference was that iSignWriting is now
considered to be acceptable as the basis for a Wikipedia.