What's the deal with SignWriting?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 10:32:28 UTC 2009

Hoi,
I think you are wrong where you state that "writing is always the second
code". As I write this e-mail, my language is arguably very different from
my spoken language and I revisit the text to improve the structure of my
argument. The Chinese writing system is used by people speaking several
distinct languages and where these people can only communicate through their
writings.

When you look at transcription of a spoken text, interjections like "eh" are
often left out . When you read minutes of a meeting, you will find that
typically that only the essence of a conversation is written down. When you
have a need for a scientific transcrition, you will find that there is no
transcription method that captures EVERYTHING that can be seen in real life.
Arguably even a video recording does not do justice because it is more
focussed and is often taken from a wrong angle to capture important
occurrences at the time to the person(s) expressing language.

SignWriting is about writing language. This means that its usage is similar
to the usage for any other written expressionn.. SignWriting is arguably
superior to several other transcription methods for sign languages as it can
be expanded with a writing system for body movements.

SignWriting was not developed to annotate a signing conversation in a
scientific manner. It was developed to bring the gift of writing, of native
literature to the signing worlds. It can be used in scientific annotation as
much as any other transcription method and it can be integrated in
scientific annotations (for instance in combination with time markers or
annotations).
Thanks,
     Gerard