What's the deal with SignWriting?

Claudia S. Bianchini chiadu14 at email.it
Tue Jan 13 11:43:19 UTC 2009

I use Sign Writing (SW) everyday for my PhD studies and so do all my colleagues (deaf and hearing, students and researchers) at the “SignLab” of ISTC-CNR in Rome (Italy). I know many people who dislike SW, but usually it’s because they never tried to really learn it, so they know the theory about SW but have never practiced it.

At ISTC-CNR we use SW to write (real writing! = put on paper thoughts in SL without passing through factual execution of signs) and transcribe SL (usually Italian Sign Language, but personally I also transcribe French Sign Language and French “hearing’s” gestures) and we find no difficulties in writing, transcribing and reading sentences written or transcribed by others.

The mayor problem with SW is that you must learn it well (and this seems easier for deaf than for hearing people). One year ago I started learning with Sutton’s “lessons in SW” but I was “too afraid” to try to write in SW (I have to tell you that I’m a hearing person and a "mean" signer). I started transcribing my corpus with SW 6 month ago and now I’m pretty good (but a deaf colleague, with great experience in SW, helped me as teachers do with children starting to write in Italian or English…). Incidentally, my deaf colleagues started writing (not transcribing) with SW just 3 days after starting to learn it.

If you are interested in researches done with (and on) SW, read the papers of Elena Pizzuto (A.K.A. Elena Antinoro Pizzuto) and/or Paolo Rossini, Alessio Di Renzo, Barbara Pennacchi…, some of which are written in English.

Claudia Savina Bianchini
chiadu14 at tiscali.it
PhD student
ISTC-CNR Roma (Italy) + Univ. Paris8 (France) + Univ. Studi Perugia (Italy)

Ps: Sorry for my “macaroni” English  :-[

Message: 1