What's the deal with SignWriting?

Andrew Pidkameny pidkameny at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 18:19:14 UTC 2009

Franz,

I want to know more about why you claim that Stokoe Notation and
HamNoSys are more appropriate scientific notation systems than
SignWriting. Is it because SignWriting can be produced with varying
levels of precision/abstraction? It would seem that a higher level of
abstraction, as is found in Stokoe Notation and HamNoSys, would make
it more difficult to accurately convey phonetic information. And from
what I've heard, Stoke Notation is at least as imprecise as
SignWriting, as it lacks descriptors for nonmanuals.

What say you?

~Drew