What's the deal with SignWriting?

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Tue Jan 13 18:47:53 UTC 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Barbara Gerner De Garcia wrote:
> What is Madrid Sign Language?  Although I am familiar with various
> sign languages, and have spent time doing research in Barcelona, I
> have not heard of this language. Barbara

Hello Barbara and everyone -
You are right...That is my fault. My mistake. So to clarify....

The mystery novel written in SignWriting is written in the sign
language used in the Madrid area of Spain, which I believe is
officially called "Lengua de Signos Española" (LSE) (Spanish Sign
Language)?...I hope I have that name correctly now?...If not, please
tell me...

We have two sections for SignWriting documents from Spain online:

Lengua de Signos Española (LSE)
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index1.html#sgn-ES

and...

Lengua de Signos Catalunya (Catalan Sign Language)
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index1.html#sgn-ES-ct

And general information at:

SignWriting in Spain
http://www.SignWriting.org/spain

We are slowly trying to add the old documents to the SignPuddle
databases above...including the LSE novel...we are adding page by page
in the LSE Literatura section right now...far from finished ;-)

There is also a current project using SignWriting in Barcelona now, I
understand...I believe it is a cd or a dvd that includes SignWriting
along with video or animation...I have just heard about this, and look
forward to learning more about it...

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton
Sutton at SignWriting.org