submitting PhD thesis in sign language

Ulrike Zeshan UZeshan at uclan.ac.uk
Fri Jan 16 15:05:08 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I am looking for some help with the following:

On behalf of my Centre, I am proposing to my University that there should be a possibility for deaf students to submit a thesis for a research degree in sign language. Our research degrees in the humanities can be MA by Research, MPhil or PhD degrees, and all are covered by the same research degree regulations.  At the moment, these regulations say that the research thesis must be submitted in English. We would like to have a possibility to submit the whole thesis in sign language, with accompanying written material (i.e. references, quotes, tables, diagrams, and a short summary in English).

My question is whether this option already exists in other universities, and if so, how do you handle it in your research degree regulations?  Information from outside the UK will also help us, as any similar examples from any country can strengthen our case.

Thank you for your help,

Ulrike

P.S. Note we are not looking for advice about undergraduate or taught degrees (BA etc), as submitting in sign language is already possible in these cases.

Prof. Ulrike Zeshan
Director, International Centre for Sign Languages and Deaf Studies
Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
Livesey House, LH212
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR12HE, UK
uzeshan at uclan.ac.uk