submitting PhD thesis in sign language

Mike Morgan mwmosaka at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:57:48 UTC 2009

This is not a DIRECT answer to the question ... but it may provide soem
insight in the approach to take ... and analogous models to support the caae
IF no exact parallels can be found.

In many US Foreign language Departments (e.g. i got my Ph.D. from the Slavic
Languages and Literatures Dept at Indiana University), dissertations in the
appropriate forieng language (Russian say, or Polish, etc) are accepted, no
problem, and have been for decades. Perhaps if UK universities have similar
allowances, THAT is a crack in the doorway through which we too can "slip"
(SLs are just as appropriate for, say, PhDs in Deaf studies, or Sign
linguistics as Russian is for a dissertaion on Bulgakov ... IMHO).

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Ulrike Zeshan <UZeshan at uclan.ac.uk> wrote:

>  ... On behalf of my Centre, I am proposing to my University that there
> should be a possibility for deaf students to submit a thesis for a research
> degree in sign language. Our research degrees in the humanities can be MA by
> Research, MPhil or PhD degrees, and all are covered by the same research
> degree regulations.  At the moment, these regulations say that the research
> thesis must be submitted in English. We would like to have a possibility to
> submit the whole thesis in sign language, with accompanying written material
> (i.e. references, quotes, tables, diagrams, and a short summary in English).
>
> My question is whether this option already exists in other universities,
> and if so, how do you handle it in your research degree regulations?
> Information from outside the UK will also help us, as any similar examples
> from any country can strengthen our case.  ...
>

> Prof. Ulrike Zeshan
> Director, International Centre for Sign Languages and Deaf Studies
> Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
> Livesey House, LH212
> University of Central Lancashire
> Preston PR12HE, UK
> uzeshan at uclan.ac.uk
> Ph. +44-1772-893104

Mike || マイク || माईक || Мика || માઈક || მაიქ || ਮਾਈਕ
מייק || மாஇக் || Miqueu || U C > || ما یک || Mihangel
Dr Michael W Morgan
Ishara Foundation || ईशारा फॉउंडेशन  || イシャラ基金
Mumbai/Bombay *|* मुंबई *|* ムンバイ/ボンベイ (インド)
www.ishara.org