(rephrased) Two questions

Fischer Susan susan.fischer at rit.edu
Wed Jul 29 15:54:13 UTC 2009

I didn't see the original question, but another angle on this is that
signed languages (at least urban sign languages) and some Athapaskan
languages like Navaho  have *predicate* classifiers, which are
attached to the verb; Japanese and Chinese have *numerical*
classifiers, which are attach to numerals and are separate from the
noun and the verb, and other languages (Swahili, etc.) have *nominal*
classifiers, which are attached to the noun though they may also be
expressed on the verb.  Grammatical gender (some languages have 2,
others have 3, others have quite a few) may also bear some resemblance
to nominal classifiers.  All of these types of classifiers classify
nouns but where that classification is expressed differently.

Susan D. Fischer
Susan.Fischer at rit.edu
Center for Research on Language
UCSD