A question for Israelits

Shelley Dufoe Shelley_Dufoe at sil.org
Thu Mar 26 18:42:14 UTC 2009

Mark A. Mandel wrote:
> Your message didn't come through. Want to try again in text?
Here it is again in plain text:

Eugenio Ravelo Mendoza wrote:
> Dear colleagues, (Specially for Jewish or Israel residents)
>
> On behalf of a friend mine from Venezuela, asked me if I know about
> Israel has the Ulpan courses for Deaf people. He wanna to go to live
> there but he wanna make sure if they could offered courses for our
> people (as me I am curious on it).
>
> Let me know information, we found on the information from web site
> http://www.moia.gov.il/NR/rdonlyres/42135CD2-14FB-4599-A170-640EA9E11971/0/mugbalut_sp.pdf
>

> It is in spanish, it said there has, but make sure through
> Experience's eyes from Deaf of Israel.
>
> Eugenio Ravelo Mendoza
That is a very interesting question!  I hope that people who live in
Israel will write in to say whether classes in Hebrew institutes are
actually (still?) available for Deaf immigrants to Israel.  The article
does make it clear that these classes are for immigrants (not for Deaf
people visiting Israel nor for Deaf people born in Israel).

Shelley Dufoe

Note:  An /ulpan/ is an institute or school for the intensive study of
Hebrew.

For those who don't read Spanish, on page 64-65 of the PDF file it says:

Special Ulpan for teaching Hebrew
The division of adult education  maintains special programs for teaching
Hebrew
   * Ulpan for blind people
   * Ulpan for Deaf people
   * Ulpan for mentally handicapped people
The classrooms of the ulpan are set up as necessary.

Rights:  one hour [of instruction] weekly per immigrant; the total of
hours per week is equivalent to the number of immigrants in the
classroom.  Period the offer is valid:  the immigrant has the right to
[attend] the ulpan for a period of 3 years from the date of immigration.

Registration/Enrollment Procedures
[Register] through the integration coordinators (/rakazey klitá/) in the
offices and branches of the Minister of Absorption [Integration?]
closest to [your] home.