Directional Verbs

Sarah Hafer charityh at comcast.net
Thu Mar 26 20:27:15 UTC 2009

I got a question about terminology used for directional verbs, indicating
verbs, inflecting verbs, spatial verbs, and depicting verbs.
To me, it appears that inflecting verbs and indicating verbs are used to
specifically denote that these are not classifier predicates, which would
fall under the spatial/depicting verb category. If that is so about
indicating and inflecting verbs, i suppose directional verbs could apply to
any type of verbs as long as they are directional. Say, if i signed a cup is
being moved from point A to point B, that is both a directional verb and a
depicting/spatial verb. Yet, if i signed that person A is throwing something
(not using a classifier here but the THROW sign in ASL for general) to
person B, that is considered an indicating verb and also a directional verb.

Am i getting the terminology use right here?

--
Sarah